View Single Post
Old 30th August 2014, 12:07   #81  |  Link
Thalyn

You might need to put up a bugfix for that one - when it comes up asking to select the language for the resulting generated 3D subtitles I'm having trouble interacting with the new little window. Basically it's not accepting any input aside from moving it around by dragging the title bar, and even while doing that it's behind the window for all the other settings. It seems to be happier the second time around, though, and that includes simply hitting the "Convert subtitles to 3D..." button again and dismissing the error.

On a slightly different note, I've found another curiosity. I've been running through the last of my movies with forced subs and occasionally I'll see a "UndefinedFrameDepths" in the XML. Fairly obvious in function and the number following it indicates the number of frames the subtitle is visible for which don't have a defined depth. Thing is that often seems to return a 0 output, where a 0 isn't necessarily correct when viewed from the original disc. The first two subtitles in Immortals are correctly set to 0, but Cars 2 has a 0 where a 14 should be and John Carter has a 0 where a 10 should be. Setting the margin to 0 only affected Cars.

If you combine that with the behaviour of TotalMedia Theatre, which actually changes the depth while the sub is still displayed, I'm wondering if there's actually some kind of "rolling" depth - each subtitle is displayed at the depth last encountered before it goes up if a new depth wasn't set on the first frame. This would also fit in with most players given they don't even bother displaying a "soft" subtitle in the event you skip the first frame it's displayed, suggesting they don't give two hoots about what happens after that first frame.

To that end, I've uploaded the John Carter forced sub track and corresponding planes file. Sub #30 ("Let Sola have a hatchling.") is the one that gives a 0 from the tool but visual inspection suggests a 10 (or there-abouts) is more appropriate.

https://mega.co.nz/#!c8EiWBhL!8QYi_H...HlxRWdypB99nTI