View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:31   #1422  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Sorry, I did not notice this comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by te36 View Post
The zidoo x9s has in its proprietary media player a bunch of options how to display subtitles with 3D.
If it has an option to show the 3D subtitles BEFORE the cut of the 2 views and the final display, you should select that. Also, perhaps you'll find an option to move or resize the subtitles (for example to place them in the black border of the movies shot in Cinemascope). You should avoid that options like the plague, as they ruin the 3D effect.

Quote:
It sounds to me almost as if i should not try to convert to 2D subtitles, but keep 3D? subtitles with a fixed depth that makes them stay out very much in-front so they never overlap... Lets see.
It's the best option you can try if the original BD has no 3D-Planes. But anyway, the true 2D subtitles can only be displayed on the surface of the screen. So, if you can display the 3D subtitles correctly with your player, it is much better to use the 3D-Planes. The fixed-depth method you suggest if better than nothing and should be used when the 3D-Planes are empty, badly created or absent, but that method requires a player that can display the 3D subtitles anyway. So, use it only when you don't have another solution.

BTW, when a movie shot in Cinemascope has no usable 3D-Planes, in addition to the fixed depth it is also often useful to move the subtitles in the bottom black border, just to be sure that they will never enter in the foreground objects. BD3D2MK3D has no tool to move the subtitles in that black area, but it can move the video frame up to enlarge the black bar at the bottom. (See the option in the last tab.) I will probably add a subtitle tool to move the subtitles as well, when I will have some time...

Quote:
I have seen the Chinese Blu ray ripper being able to convert individual chapters without noticeable lead-in time that would otherwise be required to decode the rest of the move. Also Blu ray players can of course start decoding at chapter boundaries. But of course, i have no idea if any of the toolchains BD3D2MKV3D uses would make that easy or impossible.
It is easy to start encoding at any point in the movie when you encode a 2D movie. The problem with BD3D2MK3D is that it is not sufficient to decode the 2D AVC video stream. It must also decode the second view, encoded in MVC, and that's more difficult. Anyway, as I wrote above, BD3D2MK3D uses avisynth to decode the movie, and currently, all free MVC decoders are not able to begin decoding after the start of the movie.

Quote:
Should be reasonably easy though to modify the CMD as you explained to quickly run through different encoding options after a full decode is on disk. Optimizing h265 parameters for example.
Yes, you can do that easily to check the x265 encoding options. However, when you know what settings are correct for your movie, you may want to edit also the label of the video stream in the __MUX_3D_OPTIONS file, and the ENCODER_SETTINGS field in the __TAGS_3D.xml file. Although they do not influence the encoding, they are kept in the final MKV file for reference, and should correspond to the encoding parameters really used to encode the final MKV.