View Single Post
Old 10th October 2021, 04:41   #49  |  Link
markfilipak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
Hi-end Samsung TVs from 2009 onwards do the following:

Input: 23.976p -> Linear Interpolation to 48fps + blending to 60p

Input: 29.970 telecined with 3:2 pulldown -> detects the telecine -> IVTC to 23.976p -> Linear Interpolation to 48fps + blending to 60p
Blending? Really?
Quote:
Input: 29.970i (truly interlaced like for sports) -> bob to 60p
Try this: separate the 29.9fps[59.9sps] fields to make two, 29.9fps[29.9pps] half-picture streams -- it doesn't matter whether the source stream is TFF or BFF -- then motion vector interpolate each half-picture stream separately to 119.8fps[119.8pps] (that's 4x), then delay the 2nd stream by 2 frames, then bob the first 2 frames of the 1st stream and weave the 2 streams together to form full-sized, 119.8fps[119.8pps] (progressive) frames. The 2nd half-picture stream delay is to time-align it's first frame (which is an original frame) with the 3rd frame of the 1st half-picture stream (which is a synthesized frame that coincides in time). Thereafter, each original field (top or bottom) will pair with a synthesized, time-aligned field (bottom or top) The result is seemingly 'live' -- like you're viewing reality -- and makes bob look absolutely 'mushy'. You can leave the result as 119.8fps[119.8pps] or drop it to 59.9fps[59.9pps].
Quote:
Input: 29.970p -> Linear Interpolation to 60p
May I ask: For any of the above, how do you know that's what the TV does? Does it tell you? My TV tells me nothing and the manual tells me next to nothing (and in unknown, bogus marketing terms).
Quote:
Any other framerate set in between result in the TV not understanding what's going on and just leaving things as they are. For instance if you were to transmit a signal with let's say 28fps, it will display it as it is, resulting in stuttering etc.
Well, 28fps that actually displays at 28fps will not stutter, so your TV must be doing some sort of telecine.
Quote:
What about 25p then? Well, if the TV is set to 60Hz, it doesn't detect it and just outputs the same, however if the TV is set to 50Hz it detects it and performs linear interpolation to 50p.

A note about linear interpolation: I've noticed that linear interpolation is quite good, but there are some artifacts ...
Can you describe the artifacts? Are they background "drag" along the boundary of motion objects in panning shots? -- looks like the bow wave and wake of a boat viewed from overhead. That's what I sometimes get with real-time motion interpolation when the interpolator doesn't have enough time. Or by "artifacts" do you mean aliasing? Or maybe pixel twitter -- like sparkling?

The reason I'm so interested is that I'm considering buying a new TV and the marketing material just doesn't reveal what TVs actually do.

Thanks for your contribution and your thoughts and feel free to clarify or ask questions.

--Mark.
markfilipak is offline   Reply With Quote