View Single Post
Old 10th November 2017, 13:29   #1278  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I've searched the web for the text formatting options of the SRT format. According to Wikipedia (as well as other sites like this one), ONLY the basic formatting options bold, italic, underline and color are supported. The other file format descriptions I've found on the internet either do not specify the formatting options, or specify only bold, italics and underline. Even the color change seems to be an option that is not widely supported. It is therefore NOT possible to legally change the font face or size in a SRT file. If some players may support non-standard options to do it, it's certainly not a good reason to implement them in BD3D2MK3D. Therefore, I think I will not modify deeply the current implementation. However, I will try to handle better the color change so that if a non-standard SRT contains color AND font face change in the same command, the conversion will detect the new color, and remove the other formatting option. I can't do much more. It is not the responsibility of BD3D2MK3D to support badly created subtitle streams with illegal formatting options, especially given the fact that almost nobody uses them.

Of course, I may change my mind, if someone can certify that the font face option is legal and supported by the vast majority of players. As I've read somewhere, only MPC-HD supports some illegal formatting options, and IMO it's certainly not enough to implement them.

Last edited by r0lZ; 10th November 2017 at 15:05.