View Single Post
Old 20th August 2014, 19:11   #38  |  Link
frank
Banned

If you store the 3D content in another way - then other standard devices cannot play it. (TVs, BD players, Android...).
The 3D content must signal the format to the interface - but HDMI 1.4a is the only 3D standard interface. And HDMI 1.4a doesn't know any interlaced 3D frames, only Frame Packing (movie, games) and SBS/TAB (broadcast).
We don't need new mismatches. Wat is going on if you send such interlaced 3D frames to a 2D device?

Half-Packing was a demand from broadcast because of technical reasons (bandwidth, studio and transmitter devices...)
Hardware decoders work fast and properly, but only for standard content as Frame Packing/SBS/TAB. You don't have to store interlaced 3D frames. In addition interlaced encoding needs more bits, as we know from mpeg (jumping mov vectors.)
The HDMI standard doesn't allow interlaced frame storage. 1080i50 are 50 fields 1920x540 per second, field sequential. If you encode a 3D movie in that way then the player does not signal 3D content! 1080i50 means interlaced footage, standard compliant. NTSC 1080i29 has to apply Pull Down to get the frame rate because movies have 23.976...

Example of non-standard:
Most guys cut off black bars but they have never understood how AVC compression works. Black bars have zero information, not much code needed. But hardware decoders fail at resizing such cuts... Only PCs can play it.

Last edited by frank; 20th August 2014 at 20:19.