View Single Post
Old 21st August 2014, 07:59   #42  |  Link
IanD

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
I have posted the modification to do to the scripts above, and if IanD really wants to encode in row-interlaced, he is free to modify the files manally.
That is the solution I was aiming at: a way to modify BD3D2MKV (or any other similar software) to make it easier to create Half Row Interlaced 3D for my own particular uses, instead of using a whole sequence of independent manual steps. I was not expecting the software to necessarily be changed within itself for everyone: this was just to make my job easier if possible.

The reason for doing this is to test whether it is possible to create a sharper image on a relative's LG passive 3D display than using the usual Half T&B approach, because that does look soft compared to Half SBS, even though theoretically it should not.

This is only a test to see whether a better visual result can be achieved with Half 3D encodes than with the standard methods. I appreciate it then becomes a non-standard method, but if Half 3D mkv is being created anyway, it doesn't matter if the encode method is different.

I have been targeting Half 3D mkv encodes as that is likely to be the format of choice for the relative, especially since the passive 3D can not display full 3D Bluray resolution anyway. I think I have already mentioned that compressibility will be reduced using the row interlaced approach. I acknowledge that the non-standard nature of row interlaced means that it will only work with passive TVs in 2D mode but with 3D glasses, so no adjustment of 3D effect is possible, but I'm willing to accept that if it produces a sharper picture without major artifacts. I also appreciate that this will not be an interlaced format but a standard 2D frame mkv, however the left and right eye views will effectively be fields of their original progressive frames. I apologise if I have confused the issue by mentioning interlaced.

At the end of the day, this will just be a test whether a row interlaced approach can produce a sharper image on a passive display compared to the usual Half T&B approach that is currently being used.

I thank forum members for their interesting suggestions so far and I will test them out when I get an opportunity.

Last edited by IanD; 21st August 2014 at 08:02.