View Single Post
Old 14th June 2019, 14:25   #1578  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by konikpolny View Post
r0lZ,
When I convert SRT 2D to ASS 3D with the 2D guide file temp_2D.xml (grabbed from the project's png subs directory) vertical placement is made correctly according to the guide but for the horizontal positioning none of the subs is correctly taken from the guide. THis is something I observed a long time ago but didn't have time to let you know.
Could you please have a look at this when you have time.
Sure, but I wonder if the problem is not just due to the difference with the single and double-line subtitles. If the subtitle is on a single line in the guide and split on 2 lines in the SRT, the result will be a bit too low, because it will be globally centered around the centre of the guide's subtitle, and not above its baseline. The opposite gives of course the opposite effect. Of course, I can't fix that easily, because BD3D2MK3D knows only the "bounding box" of the subtitle of the guide, and not the position of its baseline. Furthermore, even with 2 subtitles sharing the same number of lines, the placement is not always perfect, because the font size may be different, and the subtitles may contain some letters with "extensions" above or below the normal letters, and the other subtitle not. This causes some little Y displacements, difficult to avoid completely.

I agree that a solution could be an option to force the Y position, and to grab the X position from the guide only. That cannot be forced anyway, as many subtitles are placed on screen at different heights (like in Avatar) to avoid entering in the objects of the foreground. Some other examples use subtitles always at the same Y position, except for some of them, that are placed above the image (in the sky). It's also something that must be handled.

Quote:
Also, I think someone already asked a similar request in the past - It would be really great if there was a choice to select whether we want both horizontal and vertical guides to be used or selectively horizontal or vertical only.
I agree and I'll try to do it.

Quote:
What I really care about is some adjustment to the vertical placement. This could be done by forcing the manual "Bottom margin" setting, or some additional adjustment option which would be added to the guide's vertical value. Ideally having both of these options available would be useful, but forcing the "Bottom margin" setting seems more important.
The reason why I am asking for this is that, whenever I can, I place my subtitles some way down half below the bottom edge of the video to get the subtitles out of the picture as much as possible, but at the same time still making them easy for the eyes to read.
I see, but what you do is dangerous. Often, the subtitle's depth is computed so that it appears just above the ground. If you place it below its normal position, chances are that it will enter in the ground. So, IMO, you should first analyse the guide, and force the Y position of all subtitles only if the analyse deduces that all subtitles are placed approximately at the same Y position, and to avoid problems, you should use that position, and not force them below (or above) that position.

Quote:
Is that something that you could do in future?
I will have to analyse the problem of the wrong placement. If you have good examples of the first problem you have reported, please send me the guide (XML file only) and the SRT, and the number of one or two misplaced subtitles. It will be easier for me to fixd the bug, if any.

I can also add an option to "freeze" the X position on the center of the screen, and another to force the Y position to either the average Y position of the subtitles of the guide, or another Y position specified by the user. Perhaps also with an option to ignore that setting for all subtitles appearing in the upper half of the screen.

However, I'm going in holidays this weekend for 4 weeks, so don't expect that soon.