Old 15th July 2019, 11:35   #1584  |  Link
konikpolny

SRT2D to ASS3D conversion tool X GUIDE BUG + Y enhancements

Hi r0lZ,
I hope you had great holidays!

Regarding the X positioning from the guide problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Sure, but I wonder if the problem is not just due to the difference with the single and double-line subtitles.
By horizontal I mean X placement. The double/single lines difference does not apply here as it would only affect the Y plane, which works fine for me. What you are describing here is possible minor differences but for Y axis.
I also do the subtitles OCR myself. They have original number of lines and lines length.
I did check it carefully - selected subtitles position on original BD3D movie, the temp_2D.xml guide, and also studying the subtitles placement through your tool SRT 2D to ASS 3D > Analyse the subtitle Guide > BDSup2Sub. The latter clearly confirms the original BD guides have the correct position for the selected subtitles showing them at left / right sides rather than in the exact center X axis! And I don't mean here subtle differences they just come in the very center of X placement!

Quote:
I see, but what you do is dangerous. Often, the subtitle's depth is computed so that it appears just above the ground. [...] So, IMO, you should first analyse the guide, and force the Y position of all subtitles only if the analyse deduces that all subtitles are placed approximately at the same Y position, and to avoid problems, you should use that position, and not force them below (or above) that position.
In extreme cases (which in my experience are rare) i can manually replace the lines in the subtitles with the ones with the original Y position. Also what you suggest for an option to ignore Y user custom position if sub lines are in the upper half would resolve most cases. I just don't like subtitles to be covering the video, pushing them slightly down works fine for me 90%. If the X guide worked it would be even better!

Quote:
I can also add an option to "freeze" the X position on the center of the screen, and another to force the Y position to either the average Y position of the subtitles of the guide, or another Y position specified by the user. Perhaps also with an option to ignore that setting for all subtitles appearing in the upper half of the screen.
As i said earlier the Option to ignore forced user's Y placement setting if the subtitle appear in the upper half of the screen is a great idea indeed!

Locking X position in center in my opinion is not very useful as it would be more like not using guide at all - which is already an available option. But you can add it if you think having a user customised Y placement option implies doing the same for the X position.

Summing up the options for custom user Y positioning worth considering are:
- ignore guide completely and use user Y value (this is most important in my opinion)
- add/deduct user value to guide Y value
- average Y position

Please have a look at the XML guide and SRT attached;
some lines to look at:
#21:right,#25:left,#26:right,#39:right,#65:left,#77:left,#95:up center (OK),#126:right,#127:left,#128:right,#129:right,#130:right,#131:left,#138:left,#139:left,#664:left,#665:left,#666:left
Attached Files
File Type: 7z SRT+Guide.7z (54.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by konikpolny; 15th July 2019 at 13:56.