View Single Post
Old 21st January 2011, 18:04   #16  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherid View Post
My point exactly. Just because 35 years ago you burned a batch of perfect CDs and today your burns aren't as good, how can you say it's because they're not making media to the same quality today unless there's no other variables? i.e. You're still using the same burner with exactly the same brand of blanks.
3 issues here
1. comparison - for this matter there's C1/C2/etc. parameters.
2. aging - the dye will get older on virgin CD/DVDs, too
3. the art of burning is the fine tuning of burners to media
Quote:
"I own some CDRs that are some 12 years old but still yield lower C1/C2 than a brand new CDR burnt yesterday."
So have the values changed, or haven't they?
The values changed due to aging, however:
1. their values (12 years ago) were better than the same values, measured with the same Plextools and the same drive.
2. they are still better than some freshly burned CDs (I do them for car, so I don't really care)
Quote:
I've tried TY discs a few times before and failed to see what all the fuss is about. It's not that they're poor quality by any means, but on average, I get slightly better quality burns using Verbatim discs.
Well, most people do actually, Verbatim is quite cheap in comparison to TY and therefore the burning strategies are tuned to cheaper disks. I obtain better results with an LG and cheaper DVDs than with the Plextor and Verbatim (MIT). When Verbatim will change completely to Indian ware (MII) it won't make any difference.

However TYs (DVD-R) from my premium collection are still "almost perfectly" burned by the first full-featured Plextor burner (716).