View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2004, 20:29   #449  |  Link
ursamtl

MatrixMixer bidule

Hi folks,

As promised, I just uploaded a zip file containing the bidule I created in an attempt to emulate the equations for 5.1 I found in the MatrixMixer DirectX filter available on SourceForge.net. I've also included a couple of screen grabs to show the basic layout I use (it includes the kX ASIO outputs, which you may not have) and my rear SIR settings. It's simply a first attempt so my apologies if it duplicates something someone else here has tried and I've overlooked.

Note that the two front channels by themselves sound almost like surround channels. Adding the center channel gives them the body they need. You can use the four level controls to play around with the mix, providing you can monitor. For the LFE level, if your input file has a lot of bass, back off on this level a bit.

One thing I may try to implement for next version is a crossover routing lower octaves from the center back to the individual front left and right channels (since a lot of center speakers don't have as full a range).

This was all done @ 44.1k, 16-bits. I haven't had time to experiment with higher levels. One thing I am curious about is that no one has mentioned dithering if you convert to 32 bits for processing and then write 16-bit files.

Anyway, enjoy. This gives a huge sound to some recordings with a lot of ambient pads, etc. I tried Seal's Love's Divine last night and it sounded gigantic! It also sounded great with the remastered tracks from Deep Purple Machine Head or Elton's Tiny Dancer.

Last edited by ursamtl; 23rd May 2004 at 23:06.