View Single Post
Old 1st April 2023, 20:07   #9077  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
Given that there is no support or security updates for XP
Although Microsoft pulled support in mid 2019 with the last security update, there's still 0Patch that picked up the task. That + a good antivirus like Avast and it's good enough for a home user, probably.
Anyway, I found out 'cause I do regular testing on all environments in a VM and one of those is indeed XP.

Quote:
I think it makes sense to not offer builds for it anymore
Nah, as I showed it's easy enough to build it in an XP compatible way, so much so that with 1 minor adjustment the build works. My post was more of a "just so you know", that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Well, thank you for your discovery ... but don't tell me. I only compile. I do not develop.
Yeah, that's the thing, it's not the source code per se, rather I'm trying to figure out why the compiler is calling a non existing kernel function while it really shouldn't given that you're targeting XP in a specific build...

TL;DR Multicoreware has nothing to do this with, rather the compiler or whoever made the autobuild compilation script :P

Quote:
XP doesn't have explicit NUMA support and is missing a lot of other things helpful for maximizing performance.
True. In a multicore and multisocket environment, it would probably underperform by a margin: no NUMA, no AVX, no AVX2, no AVX512, also 32bit version of bit depth higher than 8bit don't have any intrinsics at all, so they would run in plain C. Anyway, I don't really think there are any businesses out there running XP/Server 2003 to encode stuff; I myself am on Server 2019 x64 with my farm at work, but I was thinking more about some home users, that's it.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote