View Single Post
Old 17th March 2023, 12:53   #106  |  Link
DTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
I don't think anyone has ever done MPEG-2 HDR. I can squint and imagine how I could kind of get it to work, but it'd still be a regression in quality, bitrate (like 4x!),
Because our lovely professional quality visual systems are 8bit so we can make MPEG 8bit HDR and it will be about equal in bitrate to 'classic' 8bit release titles.

Really most of digital video titles released in about 1/3 of a century now do have HDR inside but in non-standartized transfer as was already noted.
Even classic bt.601/709 'SDR' broadcast-graded video camera is only 'SDR-on-output' or targeted to SDR transfer decoder in display as 'reference'. But its linear scene light can not be completely restored using inverse-OETF of SDR in single way because old SDR standards do not cover possible HDR to SDR compression of highlights before applying SDR OETF. So all old good MPEG2 8bit broadcasts already had HDR inside but in non-standartized form. No additional bits of MPEG required. The HLG only put normative on one possible transfer curve of HDR to system bits range compression.

"What device supports user or metadata defined LUTs but not HEVC? Let alone real-time AI like that?"

Possibly many high-graded digital-image-processing enduser TV-sets from before-HEVC years with 'digital image (improving) processing'. The analog TV-sets unlikely have such advanced processing. The manufacturers of TV-sets already know about functions of broadcast SDR video cameras and film-based content production and can offer some HDR-expanding to user with addition to product price.

"Does 8-bit HEVC work? If it is a Smart TV, can it play back HDR from streaming services?"

Yes - some 8bit HEVC files also work. And yes - it is Android-based 'smart TV' and possibly can use network streaming services but I never tried it. I live in my own self-build home far away from large city and it is too expensive to make wired or optical broadband internet connection here to watch network broadcasts. The affordable 3G and 4G wireless network providers already cut-away unlimited traffic options here. And internet start to work worse and worse last days. The digital civilization quickly dying here. Also I many years only watch downloaded content when I have time.
The device specifications lists for formats and codecs:
https://www.download.p4c.philips.com...12_dfu_eng.pdf
Multimedia
Connections
• USB 2.0
Playback formats
• Containers : 3GP, AVCHD, AVI, MPEG-PS, MPEG-TS,
MPEG-4, Matroska (MKV), Quicktime (MOV, M4V,
M4A), Windows Media (ASF/WMV/WMA)
• Video Codecs : MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2,
MPEG-4 Part 10 AVC (H264), H.265 (HEVC), VC-1,
WMV9
– MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) is supported up to High
Profile @ L5.1.
– H.265 (HEVC) is supported upto Main / Main 10
Profile up to Level 5.1

It is 4K endusers TV-set of rec.709 colour gamut and rec.709 transfer only. Practically nice enough to watch FullHD with 2x upscaling to not see aliasing from display pixels grid.

"RGB 8-bit full range can have more visual information than a limited range 4:2:0."

8bit full is not really nice for high-end sinc-based workflows because it also cut undershoots below system black level. Yes - using over-whites for HDR compression is not 100% perfect idea but real superwhites are less common in compare with low levels near black.

"Premium content is already exclusively 10-bit for HDR,"

Industry manufacturers while adding easy to show at showrooms performance booths to old video systems (4K/8K/WCG/HDR/HFR) still not fix real old design bugs:
1. The 'better' quality over-SD systems still badly bugged with ugly old poor-past 4:2:0 2:1 compression with irreversible distortions at enduser display.
2. The 'better' quality digital visual systems still not have a standard on spatial image decoding from sampled form at all.
3. Also transfer-function compression also adds distortions (may be via quantizing noise too) to possible 'linear' sinc-based workflows at least in 1D+1D form (if we expect 2. to be solved as sinc-based upscaler).

So when I see 'premium' digital video content I think it must be internally based on linear float (lets half precision 16bit) RGB. Not on ugly old 4:2:0 many-distortive compressions (additionally extra bugged with extra-non-linear HDR range compression transfer). Even if it is wrapped in some modern-named MPEG and have +2 bits to old 8.

So in 21century the visual industry instead of saying:
"Hey - look - we finally solve all old bugs of old digital video systems and offer to buy a really high-quality system as clear as PCM audio". They start to build new booths (HD/4K/8K/WCG/HDR/HFR) over the old internally ugly and buggy and uncompletely documented basis from poor-past. That is fun to see as nowdays no one at this planet knows how to properly decode moving digital pictures content so still no 'reference' digital moving pictures display exist. So users still messed with tons of different ways of upscaling - see madvr renderer of todays for example. So I see no 'premium' digital moving pictures content still exist even if something is 10bit and HEVC.

I can expect nowdays 'real premium' digital video system is digital cinema released as a sequence of files-frames of 4:4:4 and in better case linear float32 RGB form. But not something for TV-broadcast or IP-streaming in some poor 4:2:0 MPEG form.

Last edited by DTL; 17th March 2023 at 13:04.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote