View Single Post
Old 19th April 2022, 19:05   #49  |  Link
johnmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
OT
Microwave oven: If it pops fuses you may go for a search to inrush current limiter.
Could be a timed relay bridging a resistor, the latter being burnt or bad contact, or a NTC.
I drew a partial schematic of a Siemens HE0867 recently. PM me if you like.
/OT
I've repaired several microwaves. I'd done this one twice before. It is the interlock switch. The contacts pit over time (this was built in 1994) and then it either doesn't work, or blows the house circuit breaker each time it starts. The last two times I removed the switch and then sawed through the ultrasonic welds on the switch, filed down the contacts with an ignition file, and then glued it back together. (It is physically large and therefore easy to repair.) I got 4-5 years from those patches.

This time I decided that method had run its course, so I poked around and, to my great amazement, found an NIB exact replacement. I installed it, the part works perfectly, and I expect the microwave will probably outlast me (something, I now realize, is probably true of a lot of things around here).

Last edited by johnmeyer; 20th August 2023 at 16:11. Reason: typo: replaced "switch" with "file"
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote