View Single Post
Old 28th November 2016, 11:19   #1114  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

x265 is still much more basic than x264. It doesn't have the stuff necessary to accept many input formats, and it doesn't have the video filters (resize, crop...) that x264 has. x264 accepts an AVC stream, a MKV video, or an avisynth script among many other input formats. AFAIK, x265 accepts only YUV or Y4M input.

For the 3D, BD3D2MK3D requires to build an avisynth script anyway (to combine the two views, hardcode the subtitles, etc...). The script is read directly by x264 32-bit, or it is converted to YUV with avs2yuv.exe first for x264 64-bit and x264 23 and 64-bit.

For the 2D, BD3D2MK3D doesn't build an avisynth script, and therefore it passes the original AVC stream directly to the encoder. That works fine with x264, but that cannot work with x265. AFAIK, there is no simple way to convert the AVC stream to YUV or Y4M on the fly, and therefore BD3D2MK3D doesn't support x265 for the 2D conversion.

It is certainly possible to build an avisynth script that reads the original AVC stream with a good source plugin, and then use avs2yuv to pass it as YUV to x265. Perhaps it's what hadnbrake does. I don't know, because I don't use it. But since the conversion to 2D is not the main job of BD3D2MK3D and has been implemented only at the request of some users, I kept it very simple, and I don't want to do something more complex. However, if someone knows a simple way to make the AVC stream compatible with x265 (perhaps with something like "avc2yuv.exe" if that exists), then I will probably implement the conversion to 2D HEVC. (The resize to 720p will be impossible, but that's another problem.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 28th November 2016 at 13:35.