View Single Post
Old 17th September 2008, 14:51   #174  |  Link

We have a problem, Houston.

Everything was looking good. I could open my indexed stream in VirtualDub, play and preview, and seek around.

Then I decided to try an encode. I fired up HCEnc and started an encoding. As the second pass began, HCEnc started reporting a mismatch in the number of frames between the first and second passes. Hmm, that's odd. And the resulting M2V was garbage.

Then I tried a simple HUFFYUV encode in VirtualDub. Worked great. Then a Cedocida DV encode. Worked great. Note that these are one-pass codecs.

Then I tried MeGUI with CE-Baseline. It crashed when I added the job to the queue. Then I tried DivX. It crashed.

So now I'm thinking, these guys are opening the AVS file twice or something, creating multiple instances of AVCSource(). So I opened the script in VirtualDub. Fine. Then I opened it again in VirtualDub, leaving the first one open too. Oops. The timeline looked just like the garbled M2V from HCEnc.

So the situation now is that I will try to verify my theory about the multiple opens and see if there is any mitigation for it (floating CUDA contexts?).

But be aware this has a strong potential to be a deal killer.