View Single Post
Old 14th October 2010, 19:34   #4  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

I've done single pass encodes and compared them with a dual pass encode of the same final quality and it makes no real difference to the end result.

AutoGK has standalone player compatibility settings in it's hidden options (for DivX type DVD players etc). If you enable it, one of the things it does is to limit the maximum bitrate if necessary so the player can cope, however that limitation only works in 2 pass mode.

Aside from that, 1 pass gives you a set quality while the file size will be a suprise, 2 pass lets you pick the file size and AutoGK adjusts the over-all quality to fit.
One of the things which does frustrate me about AutoGK is the fact that you have to pick the file size and then AutoGK runs it's compression test (in 2 pass mode) and offers a quality prediction. If you want to use 2 pass encoding but you're after a certain quality as well, then sometimes it takes a few guesses at the file size. It'd be nice if AutoGK ran the compression test and then let you adjust the file size to achieve a desired 2 pass quality. AutoGK is still my preferred DVD to AVI conversion program though because of the way it intelligently resizes and crops video and the fact it makes it hard for the user to mess things up.