View Single Post
Old 21st October 2004, 23:23   #20  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

@blutach
Quote:
I've found that when mock stripping (under the 2COOL method - which changes the VOBs), the VOBs have different sizes. They are aproximately 1,048,574KB, but not quite - some a few hundred less with the final VOB making up the difference. Therefore, the mock strip must alter the VOBs too. This seems intuitively strange.
I cannot believe this....
A VOB file is made of 2048 byte sectors (called packs). You can join (in a binary way, of course) all of the files and split them between the two sectors you want, without affecting any pointer!!, neither internal nor the ones in the IFO . I think this is the efect you are seeing. So:
- Each file size MUST be a multiple of 2048 bytes
- The total file sizes MUST be the same than the originals.

[qoute]Similarly, after a mock strip of menus, I did a file compare on the VOBs (the sizes were the same), but there were many differences.[/quote] True. I've found differences in the DSI pointers which are calculated sligthly different than the ones calculated with pther tools (dvdauthor i.e.). But the differences are minor, and not really sure which ones are the most accurated. I'm talking about the offsets to VOBU 120, 60, 30, 10, 7.5, 7.0, 6.5, 6.0, 5.5, 5.0, 4.5, 4.0, 3.5, 3.0, 2.5, 2.0, 1.5, 1.0, 0.5 seconds forward and backward.

Quote:
chapter times (which were altered slightly when using VOBBlanker)
Still present in 1.5.0.6? I've to check, I was thinking I had fixed this (minor ) bug.

@CoNS
Quote:
So each and every time you've "messed" with a disk, you'll have to do a mock strip to be sure that the ifo files are ok?
No, only if you have done any "dangerous" manipulation or if your test (before burn) does not work. Ah!, other very useful "test" (faster than IFOedit) is to load the files in dvdshrink. When dvdhrink loads a DVD, a lot of IFO pointers are tested.
jsoto

Last edited by jsoto; 21st October 2004 at 23:26.
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote