View Single Post
Old 18th March 2017, 18:40   #231  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolframRhodium View Post
dithering: “Filter Lite”. See madvr's thread for why someone love it

kernel: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=166080
I'm sure a lot of madvr users love a lot of things but I care exceedingly little about them. Adding more dithering options is a pain in the butt and has basically no visible effect on output bitdepths >= 8. I myself sure as heck can't see any meaningful difference between madvr's different error diffusion modes with 8-bit output, and I definitely can't say which one looks better. If you want dithering because you want things to look nice on your shitty 6-bit monitor, then perhaps you should in fact dither on playback instead of trying to encode it into your (probably lossily compressed) video? Especially when dither pattern preferences are so subjective. Filter lite is also supposed to be faster but zimg's Floyd-Steinberg implementation is already really optimized so who cares.

Custom kernels is in a similar spot. Yes you can get marginally improved results in some ways on certain (mostly small) images, but almost nobody uses it and there are tradeoffs with every kernel. If you care about this kind of custom tweaking a standard resizer probably isn't right for you.

If you want fmtconv for its customizeability, you can keep using it! It's fine! It's just that for the vast majority of common use cases (like most of the ones posted in this thread) zimg does the same thing faster and with a bit less effort. That's all I'm saying.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote