View Single Post
Old 28th June 2019, 17:14   #20  |  Link
Mistaken_Idol

I know this is a very old thread. It may still apply, as it did to me a couple of months ago.

My fix:

Tools:
Handbreak (VLC probably would have worked, it was my next step to try)
- Used handbreak to make initial conversion from DVD Rips but I had change source duration and not include final seconds where there was black screen (only on DVD 1/2 for each movie respectively) and this made all the difference. Even with Fellowship where there wasn't really any blank time, I had to cut the last second.
- For some reason Fellowship video was different dimensions between pt1 & pt2 so I made them both the same because VDub wouldn't combine them otherwise.
- I made sure 9:16 Aspect ratio (optional)
- Ripped lossless to minimize loss from re-encoding (optional)

Audacity (optional step)
- To make the cut off second from Fellowship PT1 file less noticeable I extracted audio from part1 and I edited a sharper fade out of the sound. It's pretty unnoticeable than it was ever cut. I extracted audio from part2 file then appended to the end of first file for one single audio file.

VirtualDub
- I used VDub to combine movies portions (for Fellowship I used audio file I created for audio)
- Worked with lossless files (Optional) I have disc space

It worked!

I did final encode and compression in Handbrake to get subs into final mp4s but that was not part of the solution, it is why only reason I worked with everything lossless though.
Mistaken_Idol is offline   Reply With Quote