View Single Post
Old 7th December 2011, 12:40   #1008  |  Link
Mr Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vit- View Post
That's a messed up source. The last shot is progressive and needs no deinterlacing. The first shot looks interlaced, and the top fields are fine, but the bottom fields are just a blend of the current and next frames (i.e. they do not contain a new temporal frame). I think the middle shot (from which your screen cap is taken) is the same. Then there's that fairly strong noise, over a detailed image.

You're not going to get double rate out of this, so QTGMC may not be the correct approach, although it does even out the differences in the fields - you'll want a SelectEven afterwards.

The frame blending means the noise has a temporal echo, which may fool any temporal denoising into thinking it's not noise, meaning you need a stronger denoise that you would expect. A spatial denoise of sufficient strength will destroy the detail. Also the temporal processing of QTGMC is reinforcing the issue, leaving you with that fairly stable grain. Really this needs a more customized repair job, beyond the scope of QTGMC. Within the QTGMC settings you might want to set TR1=1 and TR2=0 (or 1), to reduce the temporal processing of QTGMC and stop the grain from being stabilized. That will leave you with more noise to get rid of though...
If the frame blending is what is causing the issue, would it make sense to do it like this:
  1. First run QTGMC with TR1=1 and TR2=0, but without any denoising at all,
  2. then run SelectEven to get rid of the blended frames,
  3. And lastly run a separate denoiser on the remaining even fields, thus hopefully avoiding the temporal echo?

A side question: What about crop? Would it make more sense to move crop to before QTGMC and thus save me some pixels to process, or would that interfere with QTGMC?

Last edited by Mr Alpha; 7th December 2011 at 12:43.