View Single Post
Old 1st July 2008, 09:23   #14  |  Link
florinandrei

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryho_hk View Post
Edit(2): You probably need to apply some field shift correction for the separate-resize-combine method, as suggested in http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...339#post594339
So how about this:

Code:
Global NewHeight=480
Global NewWidth=720

DirectShowSource("E:\video\birthday\STREAM\00000.MTS")

AssumeTFF()
SeparateFields()

Shift=(Height()/Float(NewHeight/2)-1.0)*0.25

Tf=SelectEven().LanczosResize(NewWidth, NewHeight/2, 0, -Shift, Width(), Height())
Bf=SelectOdd().LanczosResize(NewWidth, NewHeight/2, 0, Shift, Width(), Height())
Interleave(Tf, Bf)
Weave()

ConvertToYV12(Interlaced=True)
Visually, it looks better. Those tiny but strange ripples on top of rising/falling oblique objects are gone.
The minimum bitrate and the average bitrate on the encoder have decreased. The encoder has an easier job to do. Not sure if this is a good sign or bad. I don't care about final file size, there's plenty of room left over on the DVD.

It's still a bit blurry. But perhaps this is not objectively true, perhaps I'm unconsciously comparing it with the HD master. Also, the PS3 is doing a lot of processing to convert the 480i to 1080p for the display - I know it's doing a lot of things because the upsampled standard-def (at least the commercial progressive material) looks unnaturally good in most cases. So that might interfere. These things are best verified on true 480i displays and players.

Tomorrow, or when I have time, I'll have to start drawing diagrams and verify whether those formulas that I copy/pasted in the new script are geometrically correct. Of course, the fact that I don't know squat about AviSynth doesn't help - I'm learning it as I go, and it kind of keeps me back. Only now I'm starting to realize the vast possibilities opened by AviSynth's scripting language.
florinandrei is offline   Reply With Quote