View Single Post
Old 13th August 2017, 19:38   #323  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaX9 View Post
Question because I do not understand it. I have at the reduce banding artifacts setting low/medium, should i tick "dont render frames when fade in/out is detected"?
I do tick "dont render frames when fade in/out is detected". If you are using easy settings for your GPU you do get 5 more medium debanded frames during the start of a fade with it not ticked but your GPU has to render 5 extra frames every time it detects a fade. This spike in load can cause a dropped frame or presentation glitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
well the LG OLED screens are more known for not dithering at all than doing heavy dithering.

http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/c...ding-large.jpg
http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/a...ding-large.jpg
It definitely dithers to display shadows, like a plasma, you can see it quite easily.

Banding was a huge problem when setting it up but the banding does not mean it is not dithering, only that it is bad at it. When I set it to 6 bit in madVR the display's banding goes away pretty much entirely, even with default settings, and when set to 10 bit the banding is more common (I can see more of the steps). Banding test patterns all look very different at 6, 8, or 10 bit so I am sure the display is receiving different bit depths but it seems to have no idea how to go about displaying them without banding. Rounded looks much worse all the time, each step is visible and sharper, so it is not simply rounding anywhere. How do you get visible banding with a 16-bit gradient dithered to 10-bit on a 0-95 cd/m^2 display?!?

I had to tweak contrast and brightness a lot before finding settings that minimize the banding, which helped but still didn't eliminate it completely. I also have to be careful when watching real content and blaming banding on the display, some blurays I thought were fine turned out to have a lot of banding while others do not. If high debanding in madVR fixes it I blame the source but if it doesn't change it noticeably I blame the display. For my final calibration the contrast ratio was reported as 9528804659:1 by CalMAN, which does expose banding in the source.

All together this display does look very good, the black level and color saturation are both amazing, but banding is its major weakness.

Last edited by Asmodian; 13th August 2017 at 19:55.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote