View Single Post
Old 26th June 2020, 08:25   #4  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

That video is blank. I mean, it's just a black screen.
I even opened it in Avisynth with Avisource and LWLibavVideoSource. Nothing.

MPC-HC and it's internal filters should be able to open it. I've been using UtVideo Codec for a long time and do all sorts of tests and they play fine in MPC-HC.
Make sure you're using the latest MPC-HC from here.

It could be that OBS didn't capture the video and just recorded a blank video instead.

What game was it?
Were you using Vulkan for the game? I dont know how well OBS handles Vulkan API.
I think it can only do D3D9-11.

Did you make sure that OBS is capturing from the right .exe ?
Some games have multiple .exe's open (launchers, mod launchers, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by egr View Post
What do you mean by this?
Games output in RGB colorspaces.

Going back to a thread I started asking what to use for game capture, this was pointed out to me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekh View Post
Normally with D3D9 only 8-bit backbuffer is possible (D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8)
Other API's (D3D11/Vulkan/etc) probably use 8bit RGB, too.

So, if you want true lossless (defined by colorspace, bit depth and the codec mode), you would need to use UtVideo in 8bit RGB.

Which OBS does support.

However, I just recently got back into screen recording and did some testing.

For OBS to capture in RGB, you need to use Advanced settings and change the Video settings.
I'd say try RGBA first (if there's no Alpha channel in the game, it'll just be an empty channel).
You may get glitches with RGBA. I did, and when I googled, there's still some issues for them to fix.

EDIT: follow link to image of corrupt example. That image just wrecked the forum width for me.
https://imgur.com/RZDTpct

You'll have to test this on short recordings to see if you get glitches.

However, settings for I444 gave me zero glitches in the video.
But! this gives you YUV colorspace. So you're converting from RGB to YUV, thus it is not lossless.
EDIT2: example of UtVideo Codec using YUV/I444: https://imgur.com/2egjn6n

I haven't tried the other codecs yet.

They did update to include MagicYUV, which does support RGB encoding. However, when I tried, there's issues there, too.
I have yet to fully test out how MagicYUV works with OBS.
I couldn't get MPC-HC to play it back. Although, I did get it to play the first time, I just don't know what I did to change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egr View Post
shadow play uses h264 but does not use lossless and h264 does not support RGB colour space. And I thought h264 was older than uly4?

H264 is older, but older doesn't mean useless all the time. Rather, doesn't mean deprecated.
H264 is quite optimized. It's very optimized and efficient as it can get. H265 is still developing.

UtVideo Codec is fairly recent. It's newer than FFV1 and other lossless codecs. But, it's older than MagicYUV.
Both MagicYUV and UtVideo Codec are very efficient and outperform the older lossless codecs.

It does out perform x264 lossless, iirc from some testings here on doom9 from a long time ago.

These are the top 3 lossless codecs out there people recommend.
You just need to test them and see which works best for your setup.

I've yet to do a full on test on what OBS offers and decide for myself.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)

Last edited by Sparktank; 26th June 2020 at 08:31.
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote