View Single Post
Old 21st May 2011, 13:19   #15  |  Link
pbelkner

> I'm testing FFSoX player and have some questions.

Thank you for giving it a try.

> First, is it necessary to install asio?

No.

> What benefits are there if you install that?

The plugin's focus is on rendering audio as perfect as possible. In using ASIO it is for sure that the audio signal reaches the DAC (sound card) unaltered, i.e. it is exact the same bit pattern as produced by the plugin. If you are using the Winamp's default Direct Sound output the audio signal will most likely be altered by Windows, e.g. re-sampled. This should be avoided, if possible.

You should prefer ASIO if you're going to listen to the audio via your home stereo.

> I've downloaded the in_ffsox-0.4.6.4-ffmpeg.exe file, do I
> need to update the ffmpeg dlls? It seems that the installation
> includes latest versions.

You should of course upgrade. The included version is configured to contain only a very restricted set of codecs and formats.

FFmpeg is improved on a day by day basis. Even if the plugin doesn't change it is a good idea to upgrade FFmpeg from time to time in order to profit from FFmpeg improvments.

> Also, how do I get FFSoX player to play any files like
> DVR-MS, flv, vob, and others? I specified in the file types
> of FFSoX player for example FLV and winamp wouldn't
> even play the file at all.

Cf. previous question. You shuold upgrade in order to make sure that the codecs/formats are supported by your FFmpeg DLLs. Just specifying file types is not sufficient.

> Also, how do I switch between audio streams if I have
> a dual stream file like mkv?

The plugin does this for you. It chooses the first video stream and the first (stereo/2.0) audio stream.

Last edited by pbelkner; 21st May 2011 at 13:21.
pbelkner is offline   Reply With Quote