View Single Post
Old 26th October 2014, 09:10   #132  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D uses only some of the official Matroska tags and, as far as I know, there is nothing to specify IMDB or TMDB IDs. You may want to use the COMMENT field to store them. There is a GENRE tag in the official Matroska list, but afaik it is used only for music (in MKA files). For the location, BD3D2MK3D uses the COMPOSITION_LOCATION official tag, and unfortunately, it is impossible to define two locations at the same time.
I can perhaps add one or two new tags, but they have to be official. Consult the list and make concrete suggestions if you wish...

For the crop, it's NO! Certainly not! Never! It is an extremely bad idea to crop a 3D movie. A 3D movie MUST be encoded with the 16:9 aspect ratio. Dot.
Most (if not all) 3D TVs require the 16:9 ar, and when the black bars have been cropped, they display the movie stretched vertically, or, in some case, they give up completely. It's already a very good reason to avoid cropping the 3D movies.

I know that some devices, and most software players can display non-16:9 3D movies correctly, but they add black borders in real time anyway, and since the black borders are very easy to encode, the gain in file size when cropping them is minimal, and negligible in regard to the numerous drawbacks. Don't forget that it's not because you watch your movies currently with a player that supports the cropped borders that you will never buy a TV or another device that requires full 16:9.

Furthermore, it is impossible to display correctly the 3D subtitles on a movie that has been cropped, because in addition to the depths of the subtitles, their exact positions on screen are very important too. Since the SubRip and BD SUP subtitle formats are made for a specific video format (in our case, 1080p full 16:9), the positions of the subtitles along the Y axis is lost if you have cropped the black borders, and the 3D effect of the subtitles is ruined. (Unfortunately, many software players reposition the subtitles in the bottom center of the screen anyway, and it's mainly because they have to adapt them to cropped movie. I hope that the authors of the 3D players will understand that it is important to display the 3D subtitles as they are, without modification. But first, we need to stop cropping our 3D movies.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 26th October 2014 at 09:17.