View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2017, 13:13   #1322  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
There are actually lenses in the Google Cardboard things. I don't entirely understand why: I think they spread the image out to fill out more of your field of vision.
The lenses are necessary because the screen (your phone) is very close to your eyes, and they cannot focus on the image at such a short distance without a correction.
Quote:
The video player "pre-distorts" the image. It doesn't just display the video as encoded, it splits it into two images and kind of "rounds" each one out, so it ends up in the middle of the lens on the Cardboard, which spreads it back out again.
I see. But does that means that you see a relatively small image in the center of the view, like with a TV in a room? If it's the case, that reduces greatly the interest of the technique.
Quote:
It actually looks nice. It was more complicated than I thought it would be. Things "just work" though after being encoded by BD3DMK3D: the video players detect everything automatically.
Indeed, BD3D2MK3D adds the 3D information in all possible locations (the frame-packing in the AVC stream, the stereoscopy in the MKV container, and a 3D string in the file name). A good player should therefore switch to the right 3D mode automatically.

I have had a look at the VR players on the Play Store. There is a lot of apps. Not sure what is the best. Can you conform that AAA VR Cinema and VR Player can decode the 3D videos encoded in HEVC with x265 ? IMO, to reduce the disc space without loosing much quality, it is preferable to encode with that very efficient codec than with x264, but many players are still unable to decode h265 correctly.

Last edited by r0lZ; 23rd November 2017 at 13:15.