View Single Post
Old 8th July 2018, 03:03   #77  |  Link
hello_hello

When the source frame rate is already DVD complaint, AVStoDVD should be aware of it and not add any ffms2 frame rate conversion to the script. Ideally it should have no effect if it's added, but obviously that's not what happens all the time.

For VFR frame rates that aren't in the DVD compliance ballpark, and when DSS isn't an option, there's really no other way than to convert it to a CFR as it's decoded. Lsmash has the same conversion options as ffms2, so maybe if your source is VFR and there's incorrectly dropped/duplicated frames in the output, an ability to pick the indexer might be enough. I've definitely seen Lsmash go nuts in the past and duplicate/drop frames it shouldn't (ie when the specified frame rate is the same as the source frame rate) so I'm not sure it's an ffms2 specific bug, but fortunately I don't think I've had a source that neither indexers could convert successfully. Maybe it's just luck.

Still feeling obligated to argue about the ability of ChangeFPS to convert a VFR source to CFR correctly.....

When the VFR source is decoded without ffms2 converting it to a constant frame rate, FFMS2 outputs the average frame rate.
The average frame rate is pretty much the VFR equivalent of AssumeFPS, only because it's the average frame rate it can do the assuming without changing the duration. Still, it'll effectively speed up some sections and slow down others, just like AssumeFPS() changes the speed of constant frame rate video.

If you happen to get lucky and you can decode a VFR source at the average frame rate without effecting the audio sync, then of course you can convert that to a different frame rate with ConvertFPS and still not effect the audio sync any further, but it doesn't mean it converted VFR to CFR. When the frame rate varies enough or even early enough that the audio slowly loses sync when decoding at average frame rate, ConvertFPS won't fix it. It'll output the frame rate you tell it to, but the audio sync won't change.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote