View Single Post
Old 7th July 2018, 14:54   #73  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
ChangeFPS has no idea how the frames are spread out in the source.
Why would it need to know this? And do you really believe that when using fpsnum/fpsden the plugin does a global analysis of the source before decoding in order to retrieve such knowlege about how frames are spread out in the source? I do not think so...

From the DirectShowSource docs:
Quote:
convertfps = false (in v2.56): When setting it to true, it turns variable framerate video (vfr) into constant framerate video (cfr) by duplicating or skipping frames.
From the ffms2 docs:
Quote:
This may naturally cause `FFVideoSource` to drop or duplicate frames to achieve the desired frame rate,
From qyot27:
Quote:
it doesn't occur when leaving it as just the filename, even if you then proceed to use ChangeFPS() to do the same sort of framerate conversion.
I still believe that avoiding fpsnum/fpsden and instead use ChangeFPS after the ffvideosource call will render the same result (or amost the same). In the end we should leave the answer to folks like qyot27 or Myrsloik who understand the inner workings of the plugin...

Generally the AVStoDVD concept for creating DVD output is to always treat the source as VFR (use DSS2Mod, use convertfps=true for DirectShowSource and use fpsnum/fpsden for ffms2). This will ensure that VFR sources are handled correctly, and for CFR sources no harm will be done. Using AssumeFPS is not an option since this will alter the video duration causing audio sync errors.

I am more interested to find out which version of ffms2 was the first to show these issues. After finding that the standard C++ version 2.17 worked fine I just tried the C-plugin version 2.17. And this one also showed no problems.

Unfortunately I was unable to find C-plugin versions between 2.17 and 2.23 (GitHub does not have them, and the MediaFire links from qyot27 were expired). So all I know is that C-plugin version 2.17 works while version 2.23 (r1140+101) does not work. The issue must have been introduced somewhere between these two versions.

Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 7th July 2018 at 15:18.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote