View Single Post
Old 28th December 2019, 15:38   #4  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by abolibibelot View Post
Hi,
I'm currently encoding a 1h23min video in 1280x720 resolution and 29.97 FPS framerate, using ffmpeg 32 bits + libx264 -crf 20 -preset "slower", through an Avisynth script which involves mainly interpolation commands to repair blurry frames (quite a lot – about 8000 out of 150000, using a combination of FrameSurgeon, Morpheus and Morph), from a losslessly rendered movie in Lagarith codec (about 120GB), with a computer based on an Intel i7 6700K CPU with 16GB of RAM. And the encoding rate is surprisingly low : 0.127x which is about 3.80 frames per second if I'm not mistaken (I started it at 02:51 and now at 11:22 it's about 75% completed). I remember having similar encoding rates with similar kind of footage with my former machine based on a 2009 low-end E5200 CPU (without frame interpolation but with at least as resource-intensive denoising filters). Is this to be expected in this case ? Are there ways to improve the performance ? Is it in part due to Avisynth running monothreaded ? (The ffmpeg process runs at 20-23% of available CPU power.) I've read a while ago that Avisynth could be run multithreaded but that it was considered experimental / potentially unreliable ; is it still the case, or has it improved since then ? Does this affect the outcome of the compression ? (I've read somewhere that multithreaded encoding tended to be a tad less efficient.) Also, would it improve matters to use Avisynth and ffmpeg in 64 bits ? I managed to run the Avisynth script in 64 bits, but then I noticed that some frame interpolations (among those made by the Morph function, not all of them, I may report these observations in a dedicated thread) were wonky, I have no idea why, and it's unlikely to be solved (according to "StainleSS" from this thread, "Jenyok functions sometimes have 'undocumented features', and tend to be a bit big and cumbersome"), so I'll have to stick to 32 bits Avisynth for this task.
Thanks for any kind of clue.
Post your entire script, we may be able to give you some pointers to accelerate things. Run the script with AVSMeter to verify that it is the bottleneck in your encoding chain (which seems likely).

Avisynth+ has come a long way and supports multi-threading most scripts/plugins without any major problems.