View Single Post
Old 4th February 2018, 21:26   #48822  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Cool. Any quick info on the hue changes, say comparative quality to the HQ setting and performance?
The new "do *not* preserve hue" option should (hopefully) combine the best of the previous "do not preserve hue" and "preserve hue with low quality" options. And it might be a bit faster than before, too.

The new "preserve hue" option is almost the same as the old "high quality" version, but with a saturation bugfix. Speed probably no noticeable change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thighhighs View Post
Thx for new build! Any info about upcoming features?
Nope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Any explanation of what it does exactly please?

What are the differences between all these?

- 100 Nits
- 50 Nits, linear
- 50 Nits, spline
- 50 Nits, linear, desaturate
- 50 Nits, spline, desaturate
I've been told that projector owners in a bat cave "officially" target diffuse/specular white at 50 Nits instead of 100 Nits. The HDR transfer function defines for each pixel with which Nits it should be displayed. But that's for 100 Nits diffuse white. So the new option practically scales all HDR pixels down by a factor of 2. So a pixel which should be drawn at e.g. 40 Nits is now drawn at 20 Nits instead.

I don't really know yet what practical effect that will bring. I'll wait for projector users to report back if the new setting is helpful at all or not.

The "linear" option simply halfs each pixel's brightness. The "spline" option tries to keep the original brightness in the shadow detail area, while still ending up at half brightness at diffuse white. I'm not really happy with the spline option yet, the curve probably needs some work.

The "desaturate" option does processing slightly different which results in ever so slightly lower saturation. I'm not sure which is "better" or more correct. So I'm offering both for testing. Of course one will go away once testing has been completed.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote