View Single Post
Old 6th April 2022, 07:56   #70  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
Switching RGB mode in Lagarith setting to YUY2 mode makes no difference in file size.
I would have expected a smaller .avi file size in YUY2 due to the color subsampling. I made a few tests: the pixel format of the captured stream seems always to be YUV (e.g. yuv422p), even for RGB mode in Lagarith. This would explain why the filesize is the same for RGB and YUY2 mode selection; it's always YUV for S-video or composite signals, which is fine - unless you want to capture Component.
Quote:
Another thing I found is that if I load in my original capture Lagarith file and run ConvertToYV12(), the default "interlaced=false" parameter will cause chroma ghosting.
One should capture VHS (VCR output signals) as interlaced and specify 'interlaced=true' when converting, because VHS is natively interlaced, even if the source is telecined or PsF. The header of the standard .avi container has however no flag to indicate "interlaced", therefore one has to state it explicitely. One may also want to specify the conversion matrix, although the default "Rec601" (for SD, based on vertical resolution) is fine.

(P.S. I just noticed that your uploaded telecined sample (x264 encoded YV12) has been encoded as progressive. It should have been encoded as interlaced, I think.)

Last edited by Sharc; 6th April 2022 at 14:39.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote