View Single Post
Old 17th April 2020, 21:51   #5  |  Link
tugatomsk9
tugatomsk9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Regarding s-video vs composite, it depends heavily on the quality of the comb filter.

VHS is a composite format, period. Splitting it into separate luma + chroma requires a comb filter, and it either happens on the player when you're making S-Video, or on your capture card.

Old laserdisc players for example had shitty comb filters by today's standards, so with a pro capture card you'll get much better results with composite. Not sure if that's the case with your basic capture device Try it both ways and see which method produces less dot crawl.
Both produce dot crawl. :\ At least now I know the cause of it.

I know there are avisynth filters for dot crawl, it's just that I've never been a big fan of the usage of avisynth; some of its filters are rather complicated to set up. But I guess I'll have to give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
Why do you want the bit budget to be so low? You're using QTGMC so presumably you do care about the quality! I'd have transparent quality be a top priority. Just use low CRF encoding with x265 or x264.
Oh, the values were more of an example. I was aiming for 230MB for a 25min 50fps video, for example. The main reason is hard drive constraits. Hard drives are not that cheap in my country - the coronavirus ins't helping at all - and I've been unemployed for quite some time, so I was trying to be as filesize efficient as possible. Being unemployed also prevents me from bying a modern, up to date PC with a proper video capture card that I've been wanting for years...

There's something I forgot to mention: the recordings are mostly second or even third generation recording using two VCRs at the time for the editing. There are some which are first generation, but they're not the norm, sadly. Also sad is that my father never owned a S-VHS video, which would have been ideal for such edits. But what is done is done. :/ I know there isn't much to retain, but I do want to retain the original smoothness of high speed sports such as motorsports, which is why I wanted to double the framerate and not let the video bitrate go through the roof.

Last edited by tugatomsk9; 17th April 2020 at 21:54.
tugatomsk9 is offline   Reply With Quote