View Single Post
Old 13th November 2011, 18:29   #5  |  Link
Chibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkiller View Post
I've had a brief look at your video, to me it doesn't look like your TV is having any problems with the actual signal (well, that might be because it's converted to PAL by the player).
Did you encode it explicitly as interlaced video within TMPEG?
You should first check what happens if you change the DVD-Players setting to Auto and then report back.

Edit: You might also notice certain problems with the probably exessive vertical sharpness of your video (Spline36 downsized and LSF'ed) like heavy line twitter in static shots and jaggies whenever detailed things move.
Thanks for your detailed reply. First of all, I'm not having trouble with the sharpening, and tweak is for now just a quick fix (The original is mastered for projection). I'll have a look at both later to make sure all is fine once this is out of the way. Why should it be 704x480 instead of 740x480 with a widescreen PAR?

Regarding the DVD players; They don't have the option to be switched to NTSC. It seems very plausible to me that this might be the issue at hand, but as I had asked around and looked for clues online into how to make a universal DVD, everyone just told me to make an NTSC DVD as PAL players would play it just fine. Guess not. Since the main group of interest is in Europe I wouldn't want people to have to switch settings and what-not... Is it incorrect that PAL players will just play NTSC DVDs? Of course, it plays it, but in this state that's unusable.

It is explicitly encoded as interlaced video in TMPGEnc. Am I correct in choosing top-field interlacing all through-out the process?

Is there any other way to make a 'universal' DVD, perhaps mixed content with both a PAL and NTSC track? Is that possible?
Chibs is offline   Reply With Quote