View Single Post
Old 20th October 2018, 12:01   #1510  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roco View Post
[...] I think a high bit-rate limit would be a very useful feature while using CRF -but obviously that will have to be implemented by the x264 developer guys.
You can actually specify the maximum bitrate, either yourself in the "additional options" field in the last tab, or simply by specifying the level, again in the last tab. I use always the level 4.1, that forces the maximum bitrate to 62500 and is suitable for most TVs. (A BD Player is limited to level 4.0, but there is little difference with 4.1. Levels 5.0 and more are necessary for Full-SBS or Full-T&B.) Note that the buffer size is also automatically limited to 78125 when using level 4.1. Take care: specifying the level alone in the command line is NOT sufficient to enforce that limits. You have to add the corresponding limitations in the command line, but BD3D2MK3D does it automatically for you, so you don't have to worry. The command for my encodings at level 4.1 looks like this:
Code:
"D:\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\avs2yuv.exe" ^
  "__ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs" -frames 147552 -o - ^
  | "D:\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\x264_x64.exe" --output-depth 8 ^
  --crf 20 --preset slow --level 4.1 --vbv-bufsize 78125 --vbv-maxrate 62500 ^
  --sar 1:1 --range tv --colormatrix bt709 ^
  --frame-packing 3 --qpfile chapters_3D.qpfile --frames 147552 --fps 24000/1001 ^
  --output "01113_3D.264" --demuxer y4m --stdin y4m -
You should know what is the maximum level (and not bitrate) that your TV supports, and use it for your encodings, and you will be safe, even with a very low CRF.

Note also that to be absolutely sure that your encoding will be OK for all TVs, you can also tick the "BD Compatible" option, that enforces some additional parameters so that your encoding will be limited to what a 1080p BD is supposed to contain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roco View Post
Anyway, is it possible to make BD3D2MK3D encode just a tiny part of the movie -preferably from the middle to avoid the credits, in order to test and decide the best settings?
Unfortunately, the currently available free MVC decoders (FRIMSource and DGMVCSource) used internally by BD3D2MK3D are unable to seek to a specific frame in the movie. Therefore, your encoding must begin with frame 0. But if you wish, you can limit the encoding to a certain number of frames. Just edit the two numbers of frames in the command (highlighted in green in the example above). However, you should know that the whole audio and subtitle tracks will be muxed, and therefore most players will consider that the movie is complete, although of course you will be unable to play past the cut point.

Personally, I did most of my tests with a couple of short movies, and I don't have to check the parameters with each new encode.