View Single Post
Old 15th July 2017, 16:26   #1215  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I've read the article about the advantages of 4K passive 3D TV over standard 2K active or passive 3D TV, and I agree completely. But the fact is that it doesn't say that the picture is better when the 3D source is in 4K. It's only the resolution of the TV that matters, because the drawback of a passive TV is that it can only use every second line to display the image for a specific eye, and that introduces problems similar to the old crappy interlaced NTSC or PAL videos. With the vertical resolution doubled, the TV can display all lines of the 2K source (but still with blank lines between them, but they are thin enough to be barely visible). Of course, to do this, the source must be encoded in Full-T&B, not in half-T&B. And it's what you get if you select the Full option in the last tab of BD3D2MK3D. There is absolutely no need to enlarge the width of the video to benefit of that advantage of the 4K passive TVs. So, upscaling the video to UHD Half-T&B has exactly the same effect but is not better than Full-T&B, since the height of the picture is equal to the original in both cases.

The only gain of UHD Half-T&B over HD Full-T&B might be in the horizontal resolution, totally independent of the quality of the 3D. As I wrote above, there might be a very little gain because the software (and slow) resize made with avisynth might be better than the resize made in real time by the hardware of the TV, but that's another thing, not related at all to the 3D. And since modern TVs have powerful graphic cards specialized in that kind of treatment, I'm not convinced that their resize is less good than a software resize. It may even be better.

Anyway, if you really want to encode heavy 3D movies with twice as much pixels than in Full-T&B, you know now how to do it. Personally, I'm still not convinced of the interest of implementing that feature in BD3D2MK3D. Of course, I may change my mind if someone can prove that the interest is big, or if there are enough peoples requesting that feature.

Last edited by r0lZ; 15th July 2017 at 16:44.