View Single Post
Old 18th March 2013, 20:03   #64  |  Link
xooyoozoo

Quote:
2008 seems late for Theora. Wikipedia claims 2004 for initial release
I believe the first public 'stable' version came out in 2008? I certainly remember a lot of fanfare when it reached 1.0 (or something) then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
And while hypnotic and fun to look at, isn't this form of testing a bit misleading? Like testing the brakes of 4 cars by driving them right up to a cliff? Yes, you can conclude that the two that aren't flaming fireballs at the foot of the cliff have better brakes than the other two, but you're going to subconsciously group both sets of two closer together (and further from the other group) than is perhaps warranted.
Considering the generational gaps present here, I dont' think there's any sort of visual test holding bitrate constant that won't either park all cars at a Walmart or throw most of them into the ocean.

You're right though, in that a multi-way comparison creates mental groupings that aren't really needed. Despite the pitfalls of objective measurements, an overview of several encoders would probably work better with some hard numbers, of which I certainly have lots and on which I will likely do a post once VP9 is released.

Quote:
I'm also curious about what the red jumper guy is actually supposed to look like in the original Mall scene, is the slightly psychedelic pulsing an artifact of the encoding?.
In the original raw clip, that pattern looks normal if the image is viewed 1:1. Any sort of resizing in VLC and it's psychedelic again. I think it's just a very difficult pattern.
xooyoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote