View Single Post
Old 18th July 2019, 01:09   #13  |  Link
Ischemia24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteen88 View Post
VMAF is a better video-quality metric than SSIM & PSNR,
https://streaminglearningcenter.com/...af-master.html
Doesn't look user friendly, but it does look like a good way to evaluate things in a relatively consistent way. I'll see if I can figure it out. Thank you Forteen88.

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
Are you also encoding dollhouse? If not, it doesnt make much sense to compare another source against it, the compressibility of different sources can be very different, you also dont know if the source were filtered to be able to compress better.

Also, the encode that you have sampled is by no means any special, it looks like something like this was used: --preset medium --profile main10 --bframes 8 --aq-mode 3 --sao-non-deblock --limit-sao --bitrate 1200 --vbv-maxrate 12000 --vbv-bufsize 24000. And afaik, main and high teir only effect allowed datarates @ given level, so it doesnt matter that much here, I would think that it is automatically set cause of --vbv-bufsize 24000.
I admit, I am not also encoding Dollhouse. I've just been using the same settings for a long time and I determined my subjective experience of the videos with the bitrates they had beyond what I could achieve. It's eye opening that the encode settings seem so pedestrian.

Ugh, on further inspection, I do see they kind of "cheated". Filtered to be able to compress better -- I had no idea this was a thing. I see now in some release notes, "The SSIM measures the accuracy of the outputted encode verse the source. It does not reflect on the sharpness or awesomeness of the image, only how close it is to the source material. An "S##" is a score where filters where [sic] not used. "FS##" is an encode where we used filters before the encoder, usually for nasty amounts of grain, this can throw off the score usually in a positive way and we like to be clear and honest [...]". Huh. Looks like the encode settings I copied into this thread were from an episode that had been pre-filtered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
First, lets define "better". What about it makes it visually better? In what regard is it better?

Second, you can see all the settings they used. What's stopping you from trying their settings and experimenting?
Better in this case is subjective, and drawn on all of my past experiences with the encodes I've done. It seemed to me that more detail was retained at a lower bitrate than I've ever managed. The episode[s] looked superior to what I've been able to achieve at that bitrate. What can I say? I give up easily.

I have no idea how this pre-filtering for better compression works, but I'd rather just stick to encoding settings, if I can get Handbrake to utilize the CPU effectively. If pre-filtering has real merit, then I imagine it'll eventually become a part of mainstream encoding software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
It also seems that the psy options are turned off for some reason.
Oh, this is more than one. Psy-rd and Psy-rdoq. That makes experimentation more difficult. I would ask though, do you prefer to use one of these or both? If just one, which one? Or is there a case that merits one over the other, or both?
Ischemia24 is offline   Reply With Quote