View Single Post
Old 17th July 2019, 12:35   #8  |  Link
Ischemia24

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
You are talking about examples were you are beaten, how are you beaten? Have you encoded the same content at the same bitrate and compared them? As far as I can see, you are already pretty much throwing everything x265 has to offer at the encode, you can add something like --no-sao and --deblock -1:-1 if you want better detail and noise retention, but other then that, there is not really much more to do, you are already well beyond the diminishing returns point when it comes to compression gains at the cost of cpu cycles.

And for the "Highest quality to file size ratio" part, this is exactly what crf is good for, just start with a baseline crf of 18 or something and increase it until you hit your sweetspot between visual fidelity and size (cause only you can decide at what point you are pleased with quality), at that point you will have found the "best" "quality to fie size ratio". This will also effect your encoding settings, are you looking at maxing out compression with low bitrates and will accept a lot of quality degradation, or should it be close to visually transparent? Cause for example, --no-sao and --deblock -1:-1 is great for the later case, but no that great for the first one.
I figured I shouldn't be specific, but, it seems common that the release group PSArips put out something that looks better and is smaller than my encodes. And for a specific example, a release group (individual?) who goes by JoyBell released two seasons of Dollhouse at ~1200 kbps 1080p that look better than most of my 1500 kbps 1080p encodes.

I appreciate the input regarding no-sao and deblock -1:-1, thank you.

I can't see the encoding settings PSArips use, but -- actually, I can see the settings on the Dollhouse episodes. Here's one:

Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L4@High
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration : 50 min 17 s
Bit rate : 1 200 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.024
Stream size : 432 MiB (81%)
Writing library : x265 2.8+19-bcdc610cf5f0:[Windows][MSVC 1914][64 bit] 10bit
Encoding settings : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=3 / numa-pools=8 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=1920x1080 / interlace=0 / total-frames=72337 / level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=3 / no-allow-non-conformance / no-repeat-headers / annexb / no-aud / no-hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / open-gop / min-keyint=23 / keyint=250 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=8 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=20 / lookahead-slices=6 / scenecut=40 / radl=0 / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / no-rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=1 / dynamic-rd=4.00 / ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=2 / limit-refs=3 / no-limit-modes / me=1 / subme=2 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / weightp / weightb / analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / sao / sao-non-deblock / rd=3 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=0.00 / psy-rdoq=0.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=abr / bitrate=1200 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=2 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv-maxrate=12000 / vbv-bufsize=24000 / vbv-init=0.9 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=3 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=0 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=2 / transfer=2 / colormatrix=2 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0 / max-cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / no-hdr / no-hdr-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=10 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=0 / limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-mv-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei
Default : Yes
Forced : No

I don't know what to make of this because they've backed off some of the settings I specify, and I don't know what else they may have specified and what values are defaults. High-tier=1 seems significant, but I'm not seeing anything in the documentation about what benefits that could provide. I'm guessing it means poorer compatibility with decoders, but I'm not concerned about that.
Ischemia24 is offline   Reply With Quote