View Single Post
Old 25th July 2014, 16:18   #1  |  Link
xyzdragon

24fps->60fps for Anime footage

Hello,

I'm new here, but know of and was reading on this board for a long time.

I want to interpolate my Bluray-Animes, because I observe a nasty shaky movement especially in pure pans, since I got a newer and larger monitor. (I also noticed banding since then on many sources, but this is another matter)

Now I tried many Avisynth-Filters like InterFrame, SVPFlow and DePan, but they all are not satisfactory, because I definitely don't want to introduce artefacts.
DePan is momentarily my favorite, because it introduces the least artifacts on the interpolated frames.

The problem for DePan are scenes where a background pans with one velocity and a foreground (figures, faces, ...) pans/moves with another velocity. This results in jittery movement for one or another. DePan doesn't seem to be able to differentiate well enough between these mixed pans and normal ones. Heck sometimes pans with a perfectly still image has a trust value much lower than these mixed movements. (In the depan documentation it's also not mentionend, but it seems the dxmax, dymax affect the trust-value, even though 'stab' should be defaulted to 0)

Also a small problem seems, that for perfectly still scenes depan can actually introduce jitter! I would need a dxmin, dymin feature for that, because in the log the dx and dy always move around +0.0,-0.0,+0.1,-0.1 for perfectly still scenes.

Also there are two methods using depan. Using DePan or using ChangeFPS with following DePanStabilize. I noticed, that the latter method seems to perform worse when detecting motion, possibly because of the duplicated frames in-between.

SVPFlow is another matter. The parameters are not very well documented, so its really hard to tweak it.

I tried getting it to recognize only global motion, like hinted to in the svpproject wiki for the GUI-Version: http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Watching_anime
My best settings were:
Code:
super   = SVSuper( "{ scale:{ up:0, down:4 }, gpu:1 }" )      
vectors = SVAnalyse( super, "{ block:{w:32, overlap:0 }, main:{ search:{ coarse:{type:2, distance:-6, satd:false}, penalty:{ lsad:0 }, distance:0, bad:{sad:0} } } }" )
SVSmoothFps( super, vectors, "{ rate: { num:60000 , den:1001, abs:true }, algo:2 , mask:{ cover:0 }, scene:{ blend:false, mode:0 } }", url="www.svp-team.com", mt=4 )
The problem with these settings, which I partially extracted from the InterFrame-Plugin, is, that it still tries to find individual movement on some scale in a pan or in a still background scene. This results in a really noticeable kind of 'aura' around moving objects, because part of the background also gets moved and distorted. Compare for example the two frames in the attachment and you will see it.

Does anyone know of some method to only interpolate perfect pans without moving objects or can tweak DePan a bit better than me or ... ?

Last edited by avih; 1st August 2014 at 21:27.
xyzdragon is offline   Reply With Quote