View Single Post
Old 19th January 2009, 12:12   #877  |  Link
popper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
ahh, didnt realise they hadn't released the API's, are they planning to release them or have they not released any info about their plans with API's?
its OT here (you can open up and directly link a new thread related to ATI UVD ASIC use if you like)but for a one time reference here, i asked Bridgeman about this UVD ASIC subject and pointed him to neuron2's and BetaBoys VS2 ASIC API work....heres the basic information known at this time...

"Mr bridgeman the ATI/AMD Executive in charge of the current code/documentation releases and ATI market push, has been asked to work with the open code initatives and provide the equivanent NV/VS2 ATI UVD API documentation were he stated in the very professional developer relations manner last week

"bridgeman:we are going to look into opening up UVD, I just can't make any commitments until we have actually gone through the investigation and it won't be quick. ...."
and he confirmed ATT after i asked will it take months, "bridgeman:For open source, yes,"

the one point of light at the moment (but probably not relevant in this case unless the open/closed code developers of NV cuda/VS2 apps have a personal interest in also producing UVD code in the future for [non] windows platform), is this, Bridgeman also said "I expect fglrx will have it sooner" when refering to that long month on months wait for the open source vendors.

potentially that means any org or business looking to use and/or port the closed ATI/AMD fglrx driver or use any of the "UVD" capabilitys could potentialy get hold of the required API documentation, work with Bridgeman, and impliment it into their products...."

Last edited by popper; 19th January 2009 at 12:26.