View Single Post
Old 6th April 2016, 15:39   #940  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I understand. In fact, in older versions, it was not possible to convert to AAC. Only to AC3. And therefore, it did not make sense to convert the TrueHD and DD+ to AC3, because ticking the option to use only the 5.1 (pseudo) core had the same effect, without the quality loss of the re-encode operation. I have added the possibility to convert to AAC later, but I haven't changed the logic. You are right. It makes sense to convert any input audio format to AAC, although converting THD and DD+ to AC3 should still be forbidden. I will see if I can easily change my code to allow that. Thanks for the suggestion.

And the problem of the AC3+THD is not related to the conversion. The problem was that tsMuseR is unable to demux the THD tracks (without the AC3 pseudo-core) muxed in 3D-MKV files by MakeMKV. tsMuxeR can demux THD+AC3 tracks from the BD without problem, but not when the core has been stripped out by MakeMKV. Anyway, the problem is solved in v0.87 final. When a THD-only track must be demuxed from a MKV, a second demux pass is done, with eac3to instead of tsMuxeR. (eac3to can demux all audio streams, but has problems when demuxing the subtitles from many 3D BDs, so I have to use the two demuxers, for what they can do.)

I think that it will be possible to convert any stream to AAC with the next version, but be patient. I can't release it rapidly...