View Single Post
Old 28th October 2018, 11:45   #1520  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Interesting information, but honestly, I'm not sure I like the idea of upscaling the 3D full-HD to UHD. IMO, the good way to preserve the quality is to encode in Full-SBS or Full-T&B. Upscaling introduces always some artifacts, even with the best (and slow!) resize method. And, of course, it requires more disc space, or a less good encoding quality. I understand that Full-SBS is not supported by your equipment, but as you wrote, it's a very specific case. So, I don't think I will implement that method in BD3D2MK3D, as it can also be confusing for most users. Anyway, it is easy to do the modification yourself, as you have explained.

For the ReduceBy2 method, I have already explained that it's IMO the best compromise. Don't forget that the resolution is divided exactly be 2 (in one direction), and that means that merging two pixels to form a single pixel is sufficient. It's extremely easy, and a rough and rapid algorithm is largely sufficient for a good quality. And the shift of the color planes by 1/2 pixel is so small that it is certainly un-noticeable. Bicubic and Bilinear resizers are certainly better when you have to shrink by a factor different than 2, but they are probably not really better to divide the resolution by 2. And of course, it is easy for a powerful user to edit the avisynth script if he really wants to use another filter. So, here again, I will not change that.

Thanks anyway for the information. I wrote BD3D2MK3D with peoples like you in mind. The program creates the basis so that newbies can obtain a good result immediately, without having to learn a lot of things, but the app creates the various scripts with a lot of comments so that power users can modify them easily to suit their needs.