View Single Post
Old 21st October 2015, 16:04   #645  |  Link
pharaoh

r0lZ, thanks. I'll try v0.75 soon.

Just to finish the discussion about doing all this over the network - I don't normally stare at my screen while these operations are happening, so speed is not my primary concern. But I try to minimize electric consumption of all my toys, mostly because I'm a dweeb and I like to optimize everything. I have an i5 desktop that used to be my server and encoding machine. That things burns 70 watts at idle and 140 when encoding. Always on and with a typical amount of monthly encoding, that amounts to about $18 (singapore dollars) in electricity, monthly. It's also big and a bit noisy. So a while back I bought a i3 intel NUC and parked the desktop out of site (still turn it on to backup the NAS and do experimental stuff). The NUC encodes about half as fast but consumes only 6 watts at idle and 18 watts when encoding. That saves me about $16 per month. The ROI on the NUC is about 3 years, but in addition, it's dead quiet, all but invisible and just plain cool. So anyway, that's the main workhorse now. Problem it only has a 120GB SSD. So I rip all my disk images to the NAS (8T, 14 watts, 40MB/sec write, 60MB/sec read). When I endode 2D, I store and post-process on the SSD. But these BD3D2MK3D projects are too big. Creating a typical project from and to the NAS takes 15 minutes or so. Encoding from and to the NAS has no bearing on encoding speed. Muxing from and to the NAS does take quite a bit longer that locally, but it's still just a few minutes. So I'm a happy camper and mapping a drive letter is vanishingly small inconvenience.