View Single Post
Old 18th August 2015, 14:45   #768  |  Link
BigPines

Thanks and understood.

No, they have no interest in simplifying things for us. If anything, inverting the eyes could be seen as yet another layer of copy protection which is beneficial for them. I guess what I meant to say is I don't like the decision they made on the standard. I am an amateur photographer so I understand framing a little bit. The problem is, once you enter the realm of 3D, your sacred framing for one particular eye or the other goes out the window. The other thing is, the two views are so similar that most of the time it is simply immaterial which eye you watch in 2D because it is the same experience. I can see for consistency, you'd want to pick one eye or the other for setting up shots but that is it. I'll bet you could take 100 people who have only seen the left eye of a particular film and show them the right eye instead and nobody would even notice. People's displays introduce larger changes than watching one eye over the other. Most of the time when you look at the two frames right next to each other, it can be difficult to pick out the differences. I believe it is an unnecessary complication but that is just my humble opinion.

Anyway, thanks for your help. You taught me something about the way this is handled in BD players with the flag. The media player is at fault. I will avoid re-encoding if I can get the manufacturer to fix it. If not, I may just re-encode them. No harm done as the Hobbit films need fan edits anyway.
BigPines is offline   Reply With Quote