View Single Post
Old 5th March 2018, 19:49   #1430  |  Link
Actionable Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Have you had to modify the Full-SBS/T&B Aspect Ratio in the settings menu of BD3D2MK3D to obtain a correct picture, or did it work correctly out of the box?

Did you encode in h265 or h264?

Or does it detect the 3D mode with the 3D string in the file name?
I can't answer the first question (yet) because I modified the ratio setting right from the start based on other LG users posts of their settings.

I encoded in H264. I had started up an H265 encode, but the estimated time was over 100 hours, lol. I have a Mac Mini, which is a low end computer, and in my case even worse because it's a 6-year old model with the slowest CPU option. With H264 I can do 1 movie a day.

I don't know that the LG is aware of the filename since I am using Plex, not an LG app, to play the content. I'm not sure the Plex server even gives the filename to the Plex client, much less the LG TV itself. But, for what it's worth, Plex installed on the TV automatically switches to 3D mode, and Plex installed on the AppleTV does not. On the AppleTV 3D still works via Plex, but it must be manually activated. I don't know if that gives you the clue you are looking for.

I really appreciate that you put this tool together. I would like to contribute back in some way. If there are any tests you'd like me to do, I'd be genuinely happy to do them. Just keep in mind it will be slow getting back to you, considering my computing power.

Tests to try:
  • Try default Aspect Ratio
  • Try H.265
  • Remove 3D information from filenames and see what happens
If there are any others to add to the list, let me know.

I have to admit, I'm not super excited about doing the H.265 test since it will use my computer for 4 days. I also have a very low end budget laptop ($280) that has an Apollo Lake Celeron supposedly with hardware acceleration for HEVC, both encoding and decoding. Will that hardware acceleration work with BD3D2MK3D? If so, I could switch to that and perhaps H.265 testing could potentially be much faster.

Is there a freely available file somewhere with short-length 3D content that I could use for these tests? All I have as sources are my movie discs which are quite long.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 5th March 2018 at 19:52.