View Single Post
Old 16th June 2022, 21:22   #174  |  Link
kolak

Yep, looks quite saturated, but when I play YT and compare this to your grab then they don't match (maybe it's due my screen been P3 gamut and tags accuracy). YT is less saturated, but still more than the one on the right. It's hard to say which one is correct. Update: seeing HLG in native format actually one on the left looks more correct.
There can be HDR version and SDR version and HDR mapped to SDR doesn't really have to look as native SDR version.
If you want to compare you conversion to something else use Resolve which has Dolby mapping built in.
Dolby tools do best SDR from all tools I've seen. Maybe because they work per shot, so each seen is analysed for min/avg/max brightness and then mapped to SDR. This is way more optimal than global conversion.
From my tests Dolby tools preserve saturation better than eg Resolve's internal mapping filter. Overall they tend to create rather more saturated look.

I think YT now puts HDR over Dolby tools for SDR conversion, so it should be quite good. But not sure if they convert HLG to HDR10 and then use Dolby to map to SDR or do some direct HLG to SDR mappings.

Last edited by kolak; 17th June 2022 at 10:20.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote