View Single Post
Old 8th November 2020, 16:47   #20  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troc View Post
Alrighty, I think it's very clunky that I have to specify both the source path and use some different script just to use a file type. I think it's obvious that if I select a .mp4, I want to use what works best for .mp4. Why would I do something different?
Sorry to say it but that is nonsense. Here is a way to correctly write your first line using (for example) DGDecNV tools:

DGSource(""C:\Users\Troc\Music\Be My Baby - Koda Kumi - Live.dgi")
# now all your other filters go here

You create the dgi file (called the index file) by indexing the MP4 file in DGIndexNV. You can use other source filters, some of which will index on-the-fly, and some of which do not index at all, or require manual indexing as with DGIndexNV. Indexing allows for random seeking. There is also a version of the DG tools that does not require an nVidia GPU, that is, DGIndex/DGDecode. They both work the same.

So the basic pattern is simple:

YourSourceFilter("path_to_video_or_index_file", ...other params as needed...)

Quote:
Why is autoloading not the default?
Nobody said it isn't. But you need to have Avisynth installed correctly and place your plugins in the right place.

Quote:
where am I supposed to put the filter files I downloaded and how am I supposed to load them?
If you don't want to use autoloading (and there are good reasons for sometimes not wanting to), then you put them wherever you want and then load them in your script with LoadPlugin().

Quote:
I want a tool, not an encyclopedia.
Gee, stop whining. All tools come with user manuals. Avisynth's user manual is a wiki.

Quote:
why's a newcomer like me either directed to a wiki or given some handwavy "just specify a source filter". If I knew how to do that, I would've done it and wouldn't be asking why it doesn't work.
You've got to be kidding. The wiki contains many examples that show how to use source filters.

Quote:
Or do I have to use an output/export filter as well to make this thing work as it should?
No, you simply open your script in the desired application. As I mentioned earlier you can open the script in VirtualDub2 if you just want to see the filtered video.

Quote:
I'm sorry for the extreme levels of salt I have. I'd like to think that I'm a relatively intelligent person with some skills in video editing. Avisynth however is something I do not understand. It's maddening since so many people seem to use it effectively.
You're overthinking things. I gave you the basic 3 steps earlier. Make a script with just a source filter invocation and then open that script in VirtualDub2 (File/Open video file). You'll see the source video. Now add another filter like Sharpen(). Now when you open the script you'll see that same video but sharpened.

Quote:
I had never used DGIndex. It seems quite effective, however.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

Last edited by videoh; 8th November 2020 at 16:55.
videoh is offline   Reply With Quote