View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:23   #1158  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

So, you have a solution for your Apple TV if you use the MrMC player, and you don't need a modification of BD3D2MK3D. Right?

The problem is that there is no established standard for the aspect ratios of the SBS and T&B frame packings. It is possible to consider that the specified aspect ratio gives the display aspect ratio (DAR) of the original image or the DAR of the target image, and it's very different. In Full-SBS, for example, the original DAR is 32:9, because there are 2 images side by side (3840x1080 pixels), but when the movie is played, the original image is split in two 16:9 views (1920x1080 pixels each). In Full-SBS, the sample aspect ratio (SAR) is 1:1 for the original and target images. In the other hand, for the Half-SBS mode, the DAR of the original and target images are 16:9, but it's different for the SAR, since the image must be stretched horizontally. Unfortunately, due to the lack of a well established standard, the player is free to consider that the DAR and/or SAR are specified for the original or target image, and there is no good solution for BD3D2MK3D. It's why there is an option in BD3D2MK3D, but currently only for the two Full modes because I have never needed to specify different aspect ratios in Half-SBS or Half-T&B. Since your MrMC player allows you to overwrite the SAR manually with a pixel aspect ratio (PAR), it is open to the two solutions, but you should encode the best SAR and DAR anyway. But take care! As you know now, it's not because a specific combination of SAR and DAR values works fine with a specific player that it will work correctly with all players.

BTW, I forgot to explain that you can also remove completely the "--sar 1:1" option in __ENCODE_3D.cmd. If I remember correctly, old versions of BD3D2MK3D did not specify that parameter at all, and that may be what you need to let the player deduce the SAR from the specified PAR in the MKV header. If the problem of the wrong aspect ratio has appeared recently and is not due to a change in your hardware or software, that may be the best solution. Try it! But I don't know if the SAR is forced by x264 or x265 to 1:1 anyway when it is not specified explicitly, and therefore I don't know if removing that argument will have a real effect.

Note also that most players will take only one of the two specified aspect ratios into account. If, say, the 1:1 SAR works fine with a specific player, you may have to check the different possibilities of the DAR with the other players. You have to experiment to find the best solution for your player(s). And remember that I can modify BD3D2MK3D if you need different parameters for the SAR and/or DAR in Half-SBS or Half-T&B modes.

Last edited by r0lZ; 23rd February 2017 at 13:34.