View Single Post
Old 5th January 2023, 19:16   #66  |  Link
HD MOVIE SOURCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
I've found --rskip 2 --rskip-threshold 2 or 3 works well with typical film grain, without as big a speed hit as --rskip 0.

Raising --psy-rd and --psy-rdoq some can help. Try 3 for each as a starting point.

--ctu 32 for sure

The built-in --nr-inter and --nr-intra aren't particularly advanced denoising filters, but as they operate at the quantization phase, can offer bigger compression efficiency benefits than other methods. Start with something like --nr-intra 100 --nr-inter 400. --nr-intra is a spatial denoising filter and --nr-inter is temporal, which is why we use a good multiple higher as film grain is all temporal.

As with tskip, it has a mode where it can be useful, but use less resources with --tskip-fast. If use rskip, are 0, 1, and 2 just less and less levels of rskip, or are they completely different rskip modes meant for different content? What really asking, is there an rskip-fast like the tskip-fast, because it's extremely useful.

I wanted to ask a bit more about aq-mode=3 and aq-strength. I believe aq-strength ranges from 0 (off) to 3 (full), But, when you set aq-strength to 3 what is that really doing? Is it trying to place 100% of it's bit-rate in darker areas? Or is there a cap even when set to 3 that only, say, 25% of it's bit-rate looks fo darker content?

----Lets just say it looked for 25% of it's bit-rate to be added in dark areas. If I lower aq-strength from 3 to 1.5, would that mean it it not distributes 12.5% of it's bit-rates into dark areas?

I'm just trying to understand how aq-strength works in relation to aq-mode 3.

Thanks.
HD MOVIE SOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote