View Single Post
Old 3rd March 2006, 01:45   #20  |  Link
tedkunich
Potentate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698
aha, very interesting, thus creates your strong impression of the clarity of svideo, compared to my poor impression. Tell me, how did you make your measurements, and you're sure it was the color part only, not the luma which is also 6MHz for me as well?
OK, guess I need to clarify that a bit, capping with svid using DVD essentials, the resolution plate came through clearly - the plate however is only in B/W. The chroma goes out that far but I have never bothered to look to check the limits. I believe that the chroma on Svid is limited to around 1MHz or so. Back in the day when they created the NTSC standard, bandwidth was at a premium so they did a lot of tricks to minimize the amount of information that it carried, one of them was to limit the amount of color information as the eye is not that sensitive to fine detail in color. I believe that Svid interface prety much follows the NTSC specs and thus limits what is carried. No doubt that component out will carry more information.

You can see that the NTSC standard does not carry much high frequency information in the chroma. Check out this site for more info if you are so inclined... http://www.ntsc-tv.com The layout is really goofy but there is some good information in there.

T
tedkunich is offline   Reply With Quote